Saturday, June 30, 2007

EIS Junior Assistant Program: 6/25 - 6/29

Here again, is a recap of all that went down at the Elementary of Science this week. Enjoy!

Day 6: There's a saying during the summer program at EIS: every Monday feels like the first day of camp. You see, every Monday, we have students returning for another week, students who have left because their weeks at EIS ended, and we have fresh new students entering the program for the first time. Today was orientation day, where the kids got to know their instructors and got to know each other. Most of the instructors are the same (Nicole teaches photography, Una teaches Neuroscience, Ed teaches Engineering, Kelly [a guy's name btw] teaches Computer Science, along with Sarah, Sapha teaches Biology, Heather teaches Natural Science), except one new teacher, Jacob, who now teaches Environmental Science in place of a female teacher who's name has now slipped my mind. Along with the new students and teacher, a new Junior Assistant showed up this week, Ashley. And like the first day of camp, the children were excited to be here, yet they were also noisy and talkative, and we, the JA's had to slap em around to make sure who was boss (us and the instructors). I found out today that i'm stuck doing the 9:00 a.m. shift because of a lack of male supervisors in this hour, which isn't all bad. I also chose to help out Nicole with her classroom for the rest of the time that i'm here, mostly cause we make a good team and i'm a great help in the dark room.

Photography - the kids learned how to take an action photograph using an old-fashioned camera (think 80s - 2004) where you had to wind, then shoot, wind, then shoot. Yeah, that kind.

Computer Science (Sarah) - the kids are learning how to record sound on the computer. I contributed to the fun by clucking like the chicken at the closing credits to "Robot Chicken" on Adult Swim! At the end of the week, they'll be able to make their own CD, complete with computer-made music.

Computer Science (Kelly) - the kids were writing a few sentence in step one of the plan to create their own website and i was called in by Kelly to help the little ones with fonts, colors, size of fonts, etc. Best part of the job that day? I got to go on the internet and screw around and rub it in the kids faces (I both helped Kelly and did some surfing on the web)!

Day 7: This may well be my shortest post on my adventures at the Elementary Institute of Science because it was so boring.
I was in Photography with Nicole an thought her classes with the kids today, it was mostly lectures about how to work in the darkroom, what the chemicals are, and how everything works in a nutshell. The students did get to work in the darkroom, but only on test strips of old camera film. The highlight of my day was introducing myself to some students at Mesa College and I found myself staring at a fine-ass asian chick with a nice body, pretty face, great legs, lovely lips........you get the picture - she was smokin hot!!!! Her presence and the thought of her carried me through what was a slow, sluggish day.

Day 8: A priority shift occurred today: I swapped schedules times with another Junior Assistant, Victoria. She got the 9:00 a.m. group of kids and Photography with Nicole, and I got the 10:00 a.m. kids, Computer Science with Kelly, and Engineering with Ed, just to try something different for a day.
I really wish I hadn't around the second group of kids I was helping Kelly with.
Jesus, those sugar-fueled monstrosities our society calls children wore me down all fucking day!!
By lunch Kelly granted me immunity from helping him out, so I helped set up this week's presentation in the conference room on diabetes.
Just another day at the office, I suppose.

Computer Science - groups F and G worked on creating their own web sites, with me running back and forth like a wind-up doll, checking and making sure that they are doing the steps to create their website properly.

Natural Science - really didn't help out the instructor, Heather, just came into her class and helped her clean up the room after an experiment.

Engineering - worked with Ed and group F on an experiment (including water, some rubber bands, window covering, an index card, and a glass cup) that taught the group about surface tension.

Day 9: Remember when Bill Maher said that some children needed to have their asses straightened out? Maher was right, as I had to do in Photography with Ms. Nicole (I went back to my regular time slot that day). Unfortunately, I had my ass straightened out when Nicole caught me getting short and threatening this kid named Charles (from group A) when he was constantly acting up in the darkroom. You see, I this kid was messing around with his fellow group in the dark room and I had already told him to stop. He wouldn't listen, so I have him some tough love: stop fucking around in the dark room and with his teammates of I send him to the office. Charles apparently got the message, but it was my tone that got me in trouble with Nicole. I didn't yell at the kid, but I spoke to him as if I were my dad, and I had really fucked up. I apologized for being short, even though I thought my actions were only to make sure he wasn't screwing around in the dark room, with all the equipment and the chemicals the classes were working with. I liked Charles, but I had to put him back in line.

Photography - the groups were developing their action shots they took on Monday.

Day 10: If you ever get to come down to San Diego, make sure you go to the Carlsbad Strawberry Farm. You get to pick your own strawberries for a small fee, and you get to eat the right off the vine if you wanted to (they use no pesticides or chemicals). Also, visit the Museum of Making Music as well, if you want to tour all the different types of instruments, or if you're a history or music buff. That was the kids field trip on Friday. I was on my A-game, the kids had a blast picking strawberries and learning about the evolution of music, and it was a nice, sunny day in San Diego. What more could you ask for?

No comments: