Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Shootig Star

This latest poem was weird for me.
Instead of me feeling like shit, there was something therapeutic in writing this.....like even though the words I write (in my opinion) ring with aching beauty and heartbreak, it's not really so bad. For me, after looking though pictures at the girl who I liked a lot and feeling like I had missed an opportunity, I realize all that time I was chasing after something that I wouldn't have been able to obtain; that I would only be her friend and nothing more. It's not a great feeling, but in time it's not so bad.
I guess its a right of passage that every young man goes through: wanting to be with the girl you like, but never having the chance to show her what you're made of because she's in a prior commitment.
The inspiration was Weezer's "Only In Dreams" from the band's debut album, along with Coldplay's "Yellow;" Radiohead's "(Nice Dream)," and "A Wolf At the Door;" Imogen Heap's "Goodnight and Go;" and Death Cab For Cutie's "Someday You Will Be Loved."

You see her everyday
Everything you see in her
Clouds every second of your mind.


You only want one chance
To show her what she's been missin'
And someday, you and her becoming one, somewhere in time.


It's only a nice dream
Merely wishing on a shooting star
You reach out to grab her hand
Only to realize she's too far gone.


She comes up to you
Gives you her numbers
Then tells you, 'Hey sweetie, call me.'


You're stomach's doing back flips
You begin the believin'
That you and she were destined to be.


But it's only a nice dream
You're only wishing upon a shooting star
You're reaching out to grab her hand
Only to wake up and learn that she's too far gone.


You've snapped out of you're daydream
Realizing you were chasing after a ghost
But you're still hanging onto the lies.


Until you see her with her desired man
Laughing and sharing a passionate kiss
That you're left standing there wiping tears from you're eyes.


It was only a nice dream
Just wishing on a bright, shooting star
She never reached out to take your hand
Because she was already too far gone.

No comments: