Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Most. Annoying. Song. Ever.

Confession: I used to be a fan of Avril Lavigne.

You heard me. I used to be a fan of the punk-rock chick from Canada. I liked "Complicated" and "Sk8er Boi". Shit, I even have her first album "Let Go". I used to love to rock out to her music, mostly cause i'm a fan of rock.

Then, she did a 180 and came out with her second album.......which I though was OK. It was more along the lines of Alanis Morissette in terms of the album(which is no "Jagged Little Pill" by any stretch of the imagination).

After Avil's last album, that was when I started listening to REAL artists.

I was reconnected to the Red Hot Chili Peppers through "Stadium Arcadium", I became addicted to The Shins with their sub-pop/mellow songs and melodies, I became a Coldplay fan through their last album "X & Y", with my growing anger over the Bush Administration and the war, I was steered to great protest bands and artists such as Green Day and Neil Young, and thanks to the power of YouTube, I became a fan of the most original female singer i've heard: Imogen Heap.

And after a few years, Avril Lavinge returned........only this time, I listened to her new summer anthem, "Girlfriend" and found out that it was total crap.



The video was one cruel joke/illogical fantasy after another.

Ex. #1: the choice in girls the dude in the video he has to make: the spoiled, stuck-up, ditzy redheaded nerd...........or the overly aggressive, man-stealing punk chick? Add to that, all the bullshit drama he'll have to eventually put up with from either one of these girls? In reality, no sane guy in their right mind would chose either one of these girls!

Ex. #2: i'm sorry, but I missed the part where it's funny and entertaining to wreck havoc on a couple's date. Shit, halfway through the song the couple (or at least the girlfriend) would call security and have the punker chick and her friends thrown out of the damn mini-golf facility, which brings me to........

Ex. #3: mini golf? That's where you would take your date? Seriously?

The worst part of the whole experience is that i'm going to be hearing that damn song all summer long!!!!!!

I guess my who point was to show my progress from Avril - likeable cotton candy fluff - to listening to artists with real talent.

As the masses will be singing Avril's summer anthem, I will be spending my time with The Shins and any other artists or bands that blows my way.

P.S. to Avril - look, it was fun the first time around, but I have changed, and you continue to put out the same teeny-bopper crap I foolishly fell for. It's over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Jonathan, but I like it.

Didn't when I first heard it, but once I saw the vid, I took to it. Isn't she all three girls...? The slutty blonde, the geeky redhead, and the sexy dark haired one... (ok, so that's my favorite...) But it does kinda show how shallow we guys are in our choice of women....

Anyway, I like the 'evil' dark haired girl doing dark deeds to get her guy.... that's kinda a fantasy for me.

UKLD